Thursday, December 17, 2009

Christmas Burnout


After Thanksgiving I crashed in the creative department. I did not want to make anything. Then I was really sick for a few days. I have made a few things since then, but only things that had a deadline. I've been putting off finishing 2 quilts in time for Christmas. They both need a binding, and one needs a little bit of hand quilting still. I also did not finish making the reusable shopping bags that were ment to be presents. I decided not to worry about them. Most people who are receiving gifts from me have something made by me included. Therefore why stress about making even more stuff?

I forgot to take a picture of the finished product, but I made a hot pad to go with a set of 6 dishcloths. The hot pad was made using the leftover yarn on a spool knitter. I also finished sewing in all the ends of all of the dishcloths that I knitted. Not all of them are presents.

I've been working on the quilt design for the next raffle quilt for my quilt guild. I'm the head of that comity. The design is my own. The comity liked it a lot so we went with it. I made 3 versions of it in 3 different sizes. There was one size that was just better than the rest. So the comity is making several different colored versions of the quilt. We need 3 different versions of it for Monday's guild meeting. The guild will vote on the one that they like the best. Then that one will be made into a quilt over a 2 year span of time.

My burn out has continued. I think that it is because of the holiday and the stress that it brings. I had most of my shopping done before December. What's my secret? I have a plastic bin where I keep presents in. This way I never loose them (which has happened in the past). I shop throughout the year. If something is on sale or is a good price and I think that it might be good for someone, then I buy it. I start shopping on December 26th. It saves me time, aggravation, and money. The bin is for birthday presents as well. When December rolls around, I just open up the bin and see who I still need to shop for.

Today I might have had a bit of a break through with being creative again. I started to clean my studio. It was such a mess. It still is, but at least I can walk in it now. I discovered several unfinished projects, some of which are quick and easy to finish in time for the holiday. I also cut several plastic bags today in preperation for making a plastic bag wreath. I also started knitting a 2nd sack boy for my oldest son. I made him a brown one in February. Sack boy is the character that you play in the Play Station 3 game Little Big Planet. Well my son asked me a few months ago if I could make him a white one. Maybe I'll finish it in time for Christmas.

I just wanted to say that I'm still here... just taking a break.

No comments:

Post a Comment